Tuesday, April 17, 2012

How Was It Done? Vietnam Medics

I am starting a new series: How Was It Done.  Here I will show my workflow from start to the finish project. Michelle and I went to the National Cherry Blossom Festival in Washington DC for the weekend, while there we checked out the various Smithsonian Museums, always a pleasure.  My goal here was to capture the feeling of a Vietnam War Press Corpsman.

Straight out of camera raw file.  Notice the white balance, funky colors, but good bones to work with. Our camera information: Canon 5D Mk I, Canon 24-105. 28mm, F 5.6, 1/15s and ISO 1250.



First step was to correct the yellow tinge in both photos,  This was done clicking a known medium grey color, in this case the boot.  Next I used several adjustment brushed to lighten up areas, darken highlights and bring focus to the medic and the soldier.  I also wanted to brighten up United States Army and the chopper pilot.



Much, much better already, and would be a nice color photo as well, but we will now do some more post in Photoshop.  I brought the raw file in and first did a Levels Adjustment.  After the Levels, I used a High Pass Filter, set to Hard Light and using a layer mask, painted so the soldiers/medic, pilot and a few other details were selectively sharpened.  High Pass is my preferred way to sharpen.
Lastly, I clicked on level, and went though the Red, Green, and Blue Channels to see which channel provided the best black and white version.  In this case, Green was the best, I then added a Green Filter with some minor tweaking for the final images. 


The final photos below.  What do you think?


No comments:

Post a Comment